Sunday 16 March 2014

Writing Process Blog Chain

Last Monday, Marty Young of "809 Jacob Street" fame tagged me in the Writing Process Blog Chain. Always happy to be tagged for a post chain - especially since wrestling isn't my thing - here are my four answers:


1) What am I working on?

There’s a lot happening at the moment. In terms of my own writing, I’m concentrating on the sixth (or is it seventh?) draft of my urban adventure novel set in and under the streets of Brisbane. I’m taking my time with this manuscript and don’t intend to submit it to publishers until I feel that there is nothing I could improve upon. Of course, if it manages to grab a publishers’ attention, I’m sure there will be hundreds of changes suggested all the same. But, hey, whatever makes the story stronger. I’ve always got a short story or two cooking on low flame. My next short story to be published is “Lauren”. It’s a sexy and maniacal tale and, honestly, I think it’s one of the best I’ve written. It will be released by Crowded Quarantine Press on the 1st of April (no joke) in the anthology, “Of Devils and Deviants” and will be accompanied by tales by a host of other talented authors, including the illustrious, Graham Masterton. I’ve also been busy with my small press, Black Beacon Books. Our debut anthology is coming along nicely. “Subtropical Suspense” will be a volume consisting of mysterious and suspenseful fiction set in Brisbane. Submissions close on the 31st of March.
 
 
 
2) How does my work differ from others of its genre?
 
Every writer has his own voice and I think that mine sounds different from any others. My fiction tends to be a mix of mystery, suspense, horror, and the just plain strange. The fact that most of my stories are set here in my city of Brisbane makes them different. However, the big difference is my originality. The plot and twists in my short stories are unusual and, in many cases, unique. Read them and you’ll soon know what I mean.


3) Why do I write what I do?
 

That’s a difficult question. I have ideas for stories and I write them. That’s what it boils down to. I love mystery and suspense, tales that are full of atmosphere and that expose characters who are weird, or completely normal – which can be the weirdest of all. I want my readers to reach the end of my stories and react by gasping, pinching themselves, or getting up to check that the doors and windows are all locked.


4) How does my writing process work?
 

I need solitude and a glass of scotch. Every story has its own story. Sometimes I have an idea for a climax and have to work towards that. Other times, I imagine a character or initial setting and discover where the story is going while I write – which can be exciting – or frustrating. Once I’ve completed a second draft, I tend to let a story incubate for several weeks before going back and attacking the third.

 
My turn to do some tagging:
Jeremy C. Shipp, Kit Power, Greg Chapman

No comments: