Saturday 28 July 2018

Four-leaf Clover and Black Elderberry

Writers have certain needs. That's an undeniable fact. We need peace and quiet from time to time. Good luck with that one! We need a decent bottle of whisky to lubricate the cogs. That's generally feasible. And we need a garden. Plants help the creative process. They do for me at least. Plants are like stories, they grow, they branch out, and when there's a breeze, those branches move, touching and parting like subplots. Their aspect changes with the weather and the time of the day. A tree can be calming on a sunny day but disturbing as it scratches against walls and windows in the midst of a storm. My garden is in its early stages, but I'd like to share it with you. I want to show you my plants. Both of them. Like I said, early stages.


My four-leaf clover growing from an upside down pot. Don't ask. It's my little piece of Ireland in France.


Here's my Black Lace Elderberry bush. Please address all Monty Python inspired remarks to my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CameronTrostAuthor/ The name is believed to come from the Anglo-Saxon word æld, fire, as the hollow stems of the branches were used to blow air into fires. The berries are poisonous raw but can be boiled to make Elderberry wine or jam. I'll wait until I have more than four berries before giving that a go.

Mary, Mary, quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?

No silver bells, or cockle shells yet, and just one pretty maiden - thank you very much. Baby steps.

No comments: