Wednesday 4 January 2023

Street Library Find: The Nun, or La Religieuse

Those of you who follow me on Facebook know I pop by a local street library (or little library, or whatever you want to call them) every now and then to see if there's anything interesting. Obviously, since I live in Brittany, the books are almost always in French. That's fine (after all, I'm fluent in Molière's, or in this case, Diderot's tongue) but I prefer to read in English, especially when the book is a translation from English, and a lot of them are. I only pick up a copy of a book in French if it's one I really want to read in French. Today, I was pleasantly surprised to find a copy of a French book I've been meaning to read for years; The Nun by Denis Diderot. That's La Religieuse to you, madames et monsieurs.

Here's a picture showing the copy I found at the street library in Kercabellec, a beautiful spot wedged between salt marshes and oyster farms...as well as le café du port, of course.

After all this time, I hope I'm actually going to like it. The book is in reasonable condition, but the door to the street library is a little worse for wear, and if you know Brittany in winter, you know that means endless drizzle. The rain got in and, well, there's no other way to put it - The Nun's bottom got a little wet, I'm afraid...could this be foreshadowing? Hmmm, I suspect so. I'll let you know in due course.

If you'd like to know more about this classic and highly controversial novel, check out the Goodreads listing (you can follow my Goodreads profile while you're there) or watch the 1966 film it inspired!

Your turn. Have you found any interesting books in your local street library? Let me know in the comments section.

 

No comments: