Tuesday 27 December 2022

Dark Inside the Haunted Train: An Interview with Karen Heard

British short story author Karen Heard is one of the writers whose stories are featured in the soon-to-be-published anthology The Haunted Train: Creepy Tales from the Railways. Here she answers questions about childhood fears and writing inspiration.

Have you ever seen a ghost? Tell us about the experience.

I haven’t seen a ghost but quite often I dream that I meet people who in my waking life are now dead - and at the time don’t realise that I’m dreaming. Sometimes it’s nice as I get to tell people that I love them, and clear the air about things I’m sorry or angry about. At others I forget that they are dead and we still argue like we would in real life or I‘m trying to take the opportunity to save them from whatever killed them. When I wake up, I have the same mixed feelings you might have if visited unexpectedly by a ghost from your past.

What scared you when you were a child?

When I was a young child I found it really hard to sleep as I was convinced that when falling asleep I might never wake up. At the same time I believed there was a monster living under my bed that came out at midnight, stared closely at my face, and would murder me if it saw that I was still awake after the witching hour.

It’s no wonder I became a horror writer - yeah? I also remember telling myself stories in the dark cold room, to calm and distract myself from the fear and stop myself falling asleep.

After many many terrifying nights screwing my eyes shut, afraid of the monster but also afraid to let myself drift off into death, I realised that I couldn’t go on like this and had to work out whether my fears were true or not. I gathered up the courage to look under the bed.

I must have been very young, because I remember there was a child’s potty under the bed for night time use. I kneeled down, lifted up the blankets, and looked under my bed to prove to myself that nothing was there… But I was right - there was a monster under my bed! Staring at me inches from my face.

I can still vividly see how it looked… and in retrospect what I see is a, head-sized, giant, dead desiccated moth, leaning on one side with its dried out wings splayed out like a vintage aeroplane with a feral stare frozen on its skull. I think, after the first initial terror, and running from the room in horror, I worked out even at the time that it was a dead creature of some kind, but the fear of that first moment when I looked and realised that everything that I thought I must be imagining - it was all true - is probably where I get my love of both horror and irony.

When I wrote my story for this anthology, and realised it needed an extra element, apart from just the events on the train, to tie things together, I used this memory of that intense fear for when the protagonist looks to see what is inside their closet.

For your story ‘Out of Order’ in The Haunted Train, where did you get the inspiration?

I wanted to write a story where the protagonist's senses are restricted in some way, such as hearing noises on the other side of the door but not knowing exactly what is happening. I’m intrigued by the idea that suggestion can do a lot more than actually describing the events. The readers fill that space by imagining what they truly find frightened.

Describe your writing voice.

Psychological and gothic, balanced out with ironic humour.

 

ABOUT KAREN HEARD

Karen lives in London and writes short stories, plays, books and scripts. She works in digital marketing and content creation, and used to manage the website for Railway magazine. Some of her stories are collected in the book It’s Dark Inside

 

 

 

  ABOUT THE BOOK THE HAUNTED TRAIN: CREEPY TALES FROM THE RAILWAYS

Come on board for a Gothic journey in a funicular railway in Victorian England, a freight train in the Carpathian mountains, a high tech sky train in Bangkok, an underground railway in Tokyo. Visit stations which lure with the promise of safe shelter but harbour unexpected dangers. Meet the people who work on the tracks – stationmasters, porters, signal-men – and those who travel – commuters, tourists, dead bodies, murderers and ghosts. In this volume, editor Rayne Hall has collected twenty of the finest– and creepiest – railway tales. The book features the works of established writers, classic authors and fresh voices. Some stories are spooky, some downright scary, while others pose a puzzling mystery. Are you prepared to come on board this train? Already, the steam engine is huffing in impatience. Listen to the chuff-chuff-chuff from the locomotive and tarattata-tarattata of the giant wheels. Press your face against the dust-streaked window, inhale the smells of coal smoke and old textiles, watch the landscape whoosh past as you leave the familiar behind and journey into the unknown. But be careful: you can’t know the train’s real destination, nor your fellow travellers’ intentions. Once you’ve closed that door behind you and the wheels start rolling, you may not be able to get out.

The ebook is available for pre-order from Amazon at the special offer price of 99 cents until 31 January 2023. (After that date, the price will go up.) https://mybook.to/Train

The paperback edition will be available soon.

11 comments:

Rayne Hall said...

Your idea of writing a story where the protagonist's senses are restricted in some way got me thinking. As a horror author, I often restrict a point-of-view character's sense of vision by setting the scene in darkness (e.g. at night or in a tunnel, and maybe there's a power cut or the torch battery runs out). This magnifies the other senses, and suddenly it becomes hugely important what the character hears and touches. I wonder - if we restricted a different sense, would this have a similar effect? What if the character suddenly can no longer hear, or no longer experience the sense of touch?

Cage Dunn said...

I do believe that to be a horror writer, the author must have experienced great moments of fear in their lives - it's an experiential thing.
great interview, I look forward to reading the story.

Pia Manning said...

I can truly relate to the scary thing under the bed. As a child, I was afraid of the chickens that lived underneath it. Every night I made my mom chase them away. I'll never forget her chicken-chasing routine. I imagine she won't either! Great interview-can't wait to read your story.

Zoe said...

I too had a night monster. This one peeked in my window and roamed the halls too. Looking forward to reading your story. Great interview!

Rayne Hall said...

Cage Dunn wrote "I do believe that to be a horror writer, the author must have experienced great moments of fear in their lives - it's an experiential thing."

I agree. That's why we cowards make great horror writers. We know what fear feels like. :-D

Tudor said...

For some reason, this fear of there being a monster waiting, lurking under the bed seems to be universal, present in most corners of the Earth and within many cultures. Could it possibly be that it's part of our prehistoric DNA?

I could never sleep of trains, even when the journey was 10-12 hours. I was always too excited :))
Reading this interview, and seeing how this anthology is all about trains, I was wondering how do you feel about sleeping on trains?

(Also, not to derail the conversation, but I do think one can write horror stories without actually being involved in that many moments of fear)

Mert Ozturk said...

Karen Heard's stories bring back my childhood fears, even if I have never experienced the fear of falling asleep. I'm sure I will after reading these stories. She also talks about the inspiration for her story "Out of Order" in the The Haunted Train anthology and describes her writing style as psychological and gothic with ironic humor. However, I don't think it's that gothic, at least in my opinion.

Chems said...

I believe everyone can relate with the "staying still so the monster doesn't find out" part. I remember I used to sweat a lot just from engulfing myself in a blanket and refusing to move because I heard a sound somewhere on the roof. Children's imagination when it comes to horror is unparalleled. Makes you miss it when you want to write horror.

Sevinç said...

Isn't everything extra magical when you're a child? Karen Heard seems to have managed to preserve this magic from her childhood and direct it into her writing. As a reader, it's great to learn where the author gets certain ideas in the story, so thank you so much for this interview!

meryem7turkmen said...

Your childhood story is giving me the chills despite being kinda familiar as I never had the courage to look at that “monster under my bed" but I appreciate those people who turn their fears and paranormal experiences into creative work.

jayvelthereader said...

I completely it agree to the idea of protagonist having restricted senses. It adds more thrill, and you'll let the readers imagine what will happen it. That tactic fits perfectly in horror book, which makes me intrigued about your piece in the anthology! Looking forward to reading it!