Wednesday 4 January 2023

Author Interview: Anna Willett

Thanks for agreeing to answer a few questions, Anna Willett. I enjoyed your novel, The Newlywed, and have posted my review here and on Goodreads. I thought my readers might like to know more about you and your protagonist, Detective Veronika Pope.

First of all, tell us a little about yourself. Who is Anna Willett? The Newlyweds is set in Seabreak, an imaginary coastal town in Western Australia. Did you grow up somewhere similar?

I grew up in Perth, Western Australia, living mostly near the beach. At heart, I’m a family person, but I’m also a writer, a voracious reader, a film buff, a fashion enthusiast and an animal lover. I’m not a fan of small talk, but I’m very chatty and always up for a laugh.

Seabreak is a fictional town that’s based on a real place. There are a number of towns one to two hours north of Perth that have a similar vibe to Seabreak. I’ve visited most of them. One thing that strikes me about these towns is their coastal beauty and the wind. Everything happens against the backdrop of the constant sea breeze.

Who exactly is Detective Veronika Pope? Does the reader learn a little more about her with each novel?

Wrestling with the emotional aftermath of a violent incident, Detective Inspector Veronika Pope is a flawed, sensitive, and highly intelligent investigator. A student of human behaviour, Pope pays attention to detail and uses her uncanny ability to connect with a crime scene and the victim in order to solve the most heinous crimes.

She has experienced more than her share of horror and violence, yet it’s her humanity and empathy that allows her to go deeper when investigating.

Veronika is also balancing life as a lead detective and a single mother.

What do you need in your writing space to help you stay focused? Do you ever actually go to places that are like the setting of a particular scene you’re working on—the dunes, a seaside pub?

Over the last few years, I’ve taken to writing longhand, so a pen, notebook, and absolute silence are all I really need.

I find when I’m writing longhand, the ideas flow. I usually write about five hundred words in one sitting and then type them into my manuscript, adding more as I go.

I like to travel to each location and spend a few days soaking up the sights and taking photographs of things that inspire me. While some of the towns are fictional, they are always based on real places. There is such a vast array of landscapes in Western Australia, there’s always new settings to scout.

What books did you grow up reading?

I grew up reading everything I could get my hands on, starting as a seven-year-old with The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton. By the time I was fourteen, I was reading Carrie by Stephen King.

What book (or books) are you currently reading?

I love reading crime, thrillers and suspense. At the moment, I’m reading The Secrets She Keeps by Michael Robotham.

What’s the trickiest thing about writing characters of the opposite gender?

I enjoy creating flawed yet strong female main characters. But it’s also fun to write from a male perspective. When I first started writing, I found male characters a bit tricky, mostly because I had it in my head that as a woman, I wasn’t sure how to write in a masculine voice. I soon realised that people are people and male or female, we all have our individual hang ups and hopes. I just focus on making the character as real as possible regardless of gender. 

 Thanks for your time, Anna. Looking forward to embarking on more adventures with Detective Pope.

 

No comments: